Saturday, October 6, 2012

Chapter 3 rhetorical devises


Hey Everyone,
After reading this chapter I got to get familiar with the definition and the uses of rhetorical devices. Rhetorical devises as stated in the text are “the use of euphemisms, dysphemisms, hyperbole, and sarcasm to manipulate and persuade.” The only two rhetorical devises that I use on a weekly if not daily basis are sarcasm and hyperbole. Sarcasm by definition is“a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark” .I am a very sarcastic person so when people talk to me they often get confused with what I am saying because of my use of sarcasm. For example the other day one of my friends asked if he could use a toothbrush since he is from out of town he did not have one with him. I looked at him with a serious face and said in a sarcastic tone “O ya, for sure just go and use mine”. He then got the idea that I did not have a toothbrush for him because who would actually let someone else use their own toothbrush.  Another Rhetorical devise that I use is a hyperbole, a hyperbole by definition is “A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect”. The other day when telling my friend a story about a joke my friend said it told him “ I nearly died from laughing so hard at his joke.” These rhetorical devises often can confuse people if they are used incorrectly but they often are used to make a point that is rather obvious from your point of view more clear for whoever is asking to do something.
-Mike Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment