Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oct 28-4 Nov Question #1


Avoiding advertisements in the world today is basically impossible, you see them when your driving, walking, on the internet, basically anywhere you go there is some type of advertisements. They could range from a simple flier to a plane flying over the top of you with a banner attached.  Within the past week I have ran into several types of advertising and the one that I found most effective was an even that Microsoft was having to promote their new game Halo 4. Over this weekend Microsoft put together an event where they streamed gameplay of their game almost constantly on a website known to most of the gaming community twitch.tv. Microsoft paid twitch to have their game on the front page as well as having a little popup on the site at all times that you could click on to redirect you to the halo 4 stream. I am not interested in Halo very much but just because they were on the front page I checked out the game for 30 min to an hour and it interested to do further research on the game. One advertising method I found not very effective was I believe it is a scion commercial where they have hamsters driving a car. I find it ridiculous and not very funny which is what I believe they were going for. It makes the car company look a bit childish.
-          Mike Ross

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike Ross,

    I agree that it is impossible to avoid advertisement. It is everywhere and in practically everything. Sometimes people do not even notice they are looking at advertisements. I haven't seen the Microsoft advertisement for Halo 4, but I would probably click the link to the stream if I saw it, just out of curiosity. I totally agree with you about the Scion commercials with the hamsters. I had an English teacher from last year that thought these commercials were also very dumb. These hamsters have nothing to do with the car and the commercials tells us nothing about the car.
    Rawrgles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate those hamster commercials. I think they are the most ineffective thing ever. They are almost a threat against my intelligence. I think that they kind of missed the mark when it comes to those commercials. They are trying way to hard to be spontaneous and funny, that they actually end up being forgettable. Nobody remembers “Oh…the Scion hamsters.” People just remember the annoying hamsters. The cars, which are the product that they are selling, end up becoming secondary to everything else. I think that Geico has used the gecko very effectively because it is a character and it is consistent. This brand only uses it at a shock factor and ends up being annoying.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete