Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chapter 2 Question 1


When choosing a career choice finding out what you are good at is always an important factor.  If you try to do a job that requires skills that you are not good at, or just don’t understand then you will end up hurting whatever company you are working for. Finding my strengths for me actually happened my second year of college. My whole life I have been at the top of my class for math, until I hit this little speed bump called calculus. Every semester starting from calculus 1 going and the way up to calc 3 my grades got lower and lower. From my calculus classes I learned that I was not good at visualizing graphs and shapes in my head, which is a necessity to becoming an engineer. I then realized that my strengths are just understanding equations and numbers. When I see numbers my mind starts clicking and I can figure out expenses and such within a few minutes.  I am also very good at memorization, studying for me is very simple, but I get distracted so easily and that is where I struggle. With these two strengths it helped me make the decision of switching my major from computer science to business since business is less of a visual math that also requires a good amount of memorization.
-Mike Ross

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mike Ross,
    I find it very interesting how you have a talent for math. Not a lot of people can honestly say that they are decently good with numbers. I noticed that you mentioned you were in calculus, and that is a hard class especially for the major that you used to have. I think it was a good decision for you to switch to business because you will still be working with numbers, but in a easier environment. Connecting both of your strengths for this major will be an easy job because you are very skillful in math. Keep pursuing what you are passionate for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up Mike?

    Talents and skills are very important. It took me a while to figure out what mine were. I also find it very impressive that you have a talent for math. When I see the most simple algebraic equation I freak out. I was good at it in high school until we reached trigonometry and pre calculus. The only thing I could do to get through that class was pray and hope that I would pass the next exam. I find that not many people have the ability to do math like people like you can.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike,
    First off I want to say that math is not my favorite subject. In fact, I am horrible at it. So I do agree that if you lack skills in a certain field than you really should not join that field of study. I also think that if you are not interested that you should not as well, obviously. When making a decision about a future career, what you are good as is what should make you want to do that certain field of study. I do know what it is like growing up and wanting to be something but then realizing that you may not be good at it, that is reason.

    ReplyDelete