Saturday, September 15, 2012

Week 4 Question 1


Inductive reasoning is used daily to make decisions that would otherwise be difficult to make but you use aspects of a person or situation that you know from the past to help you make the decision for that moment. For example, As I have stated in my blog post before I am the treasurer of a fraternity, and we always have people that have troubles paying on time/ try to make deals to avoid late fees. Just the other day one of my brothers came to me with a situation. We had a payment due on September 5th and everyone knew and if people have problems with paying they either get late fees or make plans with me a few weeks before the payment is due in order for me to make a plan that will work for the both of us. But just the other day on the 10th this brother came to me and asked if the house could cover his payment for this time and he will pay us back when he gets his paycheck. I then started to use some inductive reasoning to help me figure out this situation. I have had troubles with this brother in the past with payments, and not only that he is consistently late, and often tells me he will pay “on his next paycheck” which most of the time does not happen. Using those as my premises I came out with the conclusion that I will probably not get the money back that he promises by the time I need it and therefore decided to not use the houses funds to help cover his payment. While, this  does make it more expensive for him in the long run, it is important for someone to learn how to take accountability and responsibility.
-Mike Ross

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike Ross,

    I completely empathize with your situation as treasurer of an organization. Being in a leadership position you often find yourself having to be the regulator and making sure that everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's often hard to approach people regarding issues, because some get defensive. I think that your premises are accurate and that you used the right ones to come to your conclusion. It's good that you are using your role for the right purposes of teaching people life skills that they will need in the future.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete