Saturday, September 8, 2012

Week 3 #2


In Chapter 8 of the Think text book, Sister Helen Prejean talks about her position on the death penalty and how it is an “immoral” act and against human rights. Sister Helen is fairly biased on this stance since she was raised and is a part of a religious group, which has a huge affect on her stance in this position.  She bases her argument off of the Jesus “who taught us to not to return hate for hate and evil for evil" and while this does make scenes it is hard to base a choice off purely religion. Growing up my dad was a very religious man while my mom was the total opposite. Living in two completely different house hold I have had both sides of the spectrum when it came to politics.  I personally believe the death penalty is necessary for our judicial system. For someone to take someone’s life and just deserve a prison sentence is a little lackluster. I believe in the saying an eye for an eye. If you take one humans life you deserve the same to you.
-Mike Ross

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your post and your opinion. I see how the perspectives of your parents shaped your own personal opinion. That is a good thing how you developed an entirely different opinion, than just conforming with one of your parents. I also believe that the death penalty is necessary because if you take a life, than you are taking someone else's right to live. Coming from a private school, I have learned many different values from Catholicism and I am safe to say that I was able to form my own opinion. Life is too precious and too short to take another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike Ross,
    I also agree with your opinion and believe that the death penalty is necessary. Sister Helen was very biased in her opinion, and I am glad you were able to form your own stance on this topic. I do believe in the death penalty as I feel it is cheaper, and most of those who are sentenced to it truly deserve it. I do understand that not everyone deserves to be put onto the death penalty, but many of those sentenced have committed countless numbers of murders and many other crimes. Like Brian and yourself, I was able to form my own opinion on this even with the influence of parents, as well as the Catholic faith.

    -AvatarAang

    ReplyDelete